Monday, March 22, 2010

Mexican Lasagna

Tonight I tried a Mexican Lasagna recipe from Glenda McMath that I found in the First Assembly of God of Huntsville, Arkansas cookbook.  Kyle gave it a 9.5 out of 10, so I thought I'd share the recipe. 

1 lb. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. chopped onion
3 pods garlic, pressed or chopped (I used 3/4 tsp. of garlic powder)
2/3 c. water
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 c. frozen corn--not in original recipe, but we added it, and it was good!
1 (14.5 oz.) can Ro-Tel
6 Flour tortillas (8-inch)
1 (16 oz.) can refried beans
3 c. (12 oz.) shredded Mexican cheese blend

In a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, garlic and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.  Add water and taco seasoning.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.  Stir in the black beans, Ro-Tel, and corn.  Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Place 2 tortillas in a greased (I forgot to grease and it turned out fine) 13x9x2-inch baking dish.  Spread with half the refried beans, then half the beef mixture.  Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.  Repeat layers.  Top with remaining tortillas and cheese.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.  Glenda adds that the recipe is great for pot-lucks!

It took about an hour and 15 minutes--but I had to thaw the meat.  I served it with fresh lettuce, tomato, corn chips, salsa and queso.  Yummy!

No comments: